Ten Tips to Keep the Air Clean - Every Day!
Breathe Easier. Use These Tips for Clean Air:
1. Limit vehicle idling. Waiting for a train? Turn off engine if stopped more than one minute. Avoid the drive-through line, go inside.
2. Refuel your car after 6 p.m. Avoid spilling gas and don't "top off" the tank. Replace gas tank cap tightly.
3. Keep your car tuned up and your tires properly inflated.
4. Drive less. Carpool or rideshare. Combine your errands into one trip. Bike or walk when possible.
5. Mow your grass after 6 p.m. Keep lawnmowers and other small engines properly tuned. Limit use of combustion-engine leaf blowers.
6. Don’t burn leaves, trash and other materials. Use charcoal grills and chimineas after 6:00 p.m. Do mulch and compost!
7. Conserve electricity. Don't over cool your building (78 degrees in summer). Turn off lights and appliances. Use Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) and LED lights to limit electricity use and heat.
8. Look for the energy star label when purchasing computers, TVs, DVDs, appliances, lighting, etc.
9. Properly dispose of household paints, solvents and pesticides. Store these materials in airtight containers.
10. Paint with a brush, not a sprayer. Buy low VOC paints for indoor and outdoor painting jobs.